Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thanksgiving lunch at school.

Well I finally realized the school has been having an annual Thanksgiving luncheon every year for who knows how long. Finally this year I somehow received the memo and marked my calendar to attend. I took my mother in law with me and boy was it a treat! We decided to take Jeremy out of his classroom so Maddie, Jeremy, Gayle & I could all eat together. Gayle and I of course got held up in the parent line while the kids are already off to their table. We walk to the table to find out they haven't even left an inch for us to sit. Hmmm...I'm thinking they're both not too "thankful" we had come to eat lunch with them. We manage to scoot some kids down and squeeze ourselves into a child's size spot. On the menu was turkey, instant mashed potatoes w/gravy, green beans, rolls, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. It looked tasty enough. We just sat down and started eating when the lunch lady walks by and tells our table to "hurry up, you only have 3 minutes left!" I was shocked. I knew their lunches went quick, but never would I imagine they would almost risk a daily chance of choking forcing the kids to scarf down their meal. Then Maddie's class is lining up and she has barely touched a thing. No wonder the girl doesn't gain an ounce. She heads off to the playground while Granny, Jeremy & I try to calmly finish our Thanksgiving meal that cost us $3.75! We had promised Maddie we'd stop by her playground so off we go to find her and cannot. The nurse assistant comes to me and says, "You're looking for Maddie, right? Come to the gate and I'll let you in." Then I hear the nurse tell Maddie to come see who she has found. The sweet lil thing had been patiently sitting by the gate waiting for her mommy and Granny to walk in. I think I learned my lesson on being too quick to judge. I fully believe she was "thankful" for us to have come for a visit afterall!

No comments: